History: Historians believe that this salad was the creation of a French chef, M. Olivier, owner and chef of The Hermitage restaurant in Moscow, Russia in the 1860s. Originally cold roast game was used in the salad instead of chicken. All I know is that I can’t imagine the Christmas season without it….can you?
Image by Yolanta Ivanova
- 2-3 potatoes
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- Small handful frozen peas
- 1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
- 220g mayonnaise
- 1 small can good quality tuna in olive oil
- 12-15 good quality Spanish green olives, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Squeeze of lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- Selection of toasted breads or bread sticks for serving
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 2 or 3 large pieces then boil until tender. Remove from the water and allow to cool, then dice into 1cm cubes.
- Combine remaining ingredients with the potatoes and pile onto a plate. Smooth into a dome and serve.