It had been years since I last made this cake. I found that it is still a great recipe for a quick dessert. You could frost it, but it is fine topped with just a dusting of powdered sugar.
The only thing I would do differently next time? Similar recipes include ½ teaspoon of salt, and I would add that next time.If you’re in the mood for a quick treat, Cocoa Cake may be just what you need!
1½ cups all-purpose flour (180g)
1 cup sugar (I used maple sugar, but regular is fine)
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
½ teaspoon salt (optional – not in the original recipe, but I recommend it)
3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup cold water
Makes one 9×9-inch cake or 12 cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚.
2. Stir the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
3. Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl.
4. Stir well with a fork or whisk until well blended.
5. Pour into an ungreased 9×9-inch pan. (Or make 12 cupcakes in a paper-lined muffin pan.)
6. Bake cake for 30 – 35 minutes, until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. (Bake cupcakes for 25 – 30 minutes.)
7. Cool, dust with powdered sugar, and serve.