Delicious Gujerati style of curry, with lamb kofta aka meatballs. A flavor explosion experience.
Chef’s tip: The bread crumbs make the meatballs tender. Add the cream/ yogurt at the end so that it does not break.
1 lb ground lamb
1 egg white
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground fennel
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon ginger, grated
1 serrano, minced
1 Tablespoon cilantro stems, chopped
½ yellow onion, grated, squeezed to yield ½ cup
½ cup panko bread crumbs, soaked in ¼ cup water or chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Some oil for the baking tray
3 Tablespoons ghee
1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
8 shallots, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 inch ginger, peeled, grated
1 Tablespoon ground coriander
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon tumeric powder
½ teaspoon cayenne
10 cardamon pods
2 cinnamon sticks
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 14-oz can crushed canned tomatoes
1 pinch saffron threads
1 cup heavy cream / greek yogurt
1 cup water
½ cup coriander (cilantro), chopped
Preparing the meatballs
- Mix together the meatball ingredients (lamb, egg white, coriander, fennel, garlic, ginger, Serrano, cilantro stems, onion, bread crumbs, salt and black pepper).
- Using your hands, form into balls about 1 ½ inch diameter. Place on a lightly oiled baking tray, and bake in a 400°F oven until brown about 12 minutes. Alternatively, brown meatballs in a large saute pan.
Preparing the curry
- In a heavy bottom, oven proof pot, heat ghee on medium high. Add cumin seeds and bay leaves and fry for about 30 seconds or until the cumin seeds pop.
- Add chopped shallots, and cook till translucent, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger. Saute under medium heat for about 3 minutes until golden brown and fragrant.
- Add remaining dry spices (coriander, cumin, tumeric, cayenne, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon and salt). Continue to fry for another 5 minutes until the oil separates.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and saffron, and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Transfer the meatballs back into the pot, add more broth if necessary to cover the meatballs, and bake covered, in a 400 °F oven (alternatively simmer on low on stove top) for 10 minutes. stirring once or twice gently. Stir in the cream or yogurt.
- Remove whole spices and mix in chopped cilantro just before serving.