Lemon Cake, while lemon is not people’s first thought when it comes to flavouring cakes, do give this a try, you will be so glad you did. This Easy Lemon Cake is light, fine-textured and flavorful. One half of a large lemon should yield the small amount of fresh lemon juice called for in the recipe, but you can add more if you like tarter flavour.
- 225g unsalted butter , softened
- 225g caster sugar
- finely grated zest 2 lemons
- 225g self-raising flour
- Juice of ½ a lemon
Before the Method I just have to mention my new Tesco Hand Mixer. Its good, light and so cheap (£9). I love new toys.
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Beat together 225g caster sugar and 225g of softened unsalted butter until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through. Sift in 225g self-raising flour, then add the finely grated zest of 2lemons and the juice of ½ a lemon and mix until well combined.
- Take the loaf tin, lightly grease it with butter, and then cut out a piece of non-stick paper to line the base. Spoon the lemon cake mixture into the tin and level it out.
- Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes on a medium shelf and then test the lemon cake by inserting a skewer into the centre. If it comes out clean, the lemon cake is done. If not, pop it back in for another 5 minutes, test and repeat. The ideal time to take out the cake is when the skewer is only just clean, which will ensure the lemon cake stays nice and moist. Everyone’s ovens are different, and cooking times can vary quite a lot. In my oven, the total cooking time for a delicious, moist lemon cake was 55 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of 1 ½ lemons and 85gcaster sugar in a jug. Prick the warm lemon cake all over with a skewer, then slowly pour over the lemon drizzle mixture, letting it sink into the holes. Leave the lemon cake in the tin until completely cool, then gently slide a knife around the outside before removing the cake from the tin.
The sugar mixture that you poured over the top of the lemon cake, will have made a crispy sugar layer that is just delicious!