Whoever decided a roast should only happen on a Sunday must have been completely mad.And whoever decided that cooking can’t be sexy is mad too! I love nothing more than a good roast chicken , and if I feel like one then I’m going to have one, regardless of what day of the week it may be.
Wednesday night is a classic example.The weekend is still far away. Everybody feels a little bit depressed.Well we need something to ‘Brighten up the day’. So here comes our Sunday roast but on Wednesday.
2 chicken thighs-I assume you are cooking for two
2 potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1/4 Butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped
1 cup green beans, topped & tailed
Juice of one lemon
4 sprigs fresh oregano
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 tbsp butter
Sea salt & cracked black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Start on the chicken by creating a quick marinade with half the lemon juice, a tablespoon of olive oil, crushed garlic and salt & pepper. Rub this mix all over the chicken.
- Next heat a fry pan over high heat and cook the chicken with the skin side down for a couple of minutes, (or until golden brown) then turn over and cook for another minute. Remove from the heat and transfer to a roasting pan. Drizzle with a little extra olive oil, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the fresh oregano, then transfer to the oven and roast for 35 minutes.
- While the chicken is roasting, place the pumpkin and potatoes in a pot of cold water, bring to the boil and cook until tender. Once cooked through add a tablespoon of butter, season well with salt and pepper and roughly mash with a fork so that you achieve a slightly chunky consistency.
- When the chicken is just about ready to serve, quickly blanch the green beans in a small pot of boiling until just tender. They should still have a slight crispness to them. Drain the water, then season the beans with salt and pepper and drizzle with the remaining lemon juice and half a tablespoon of butter. Toss until the butter melts.
- To serve, pile up the mashed potato and pumpkin, top with green beans and then place the chicken on top. Spoon over some of the roasting juices for an extra hit of flavour at the end.
- Open a bottle of Nebbiolo and enjoy.