“Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat
Please put a penny in the old man’s hat
If you haven’t got a penny, a ha’penny will do
If you haven’t got a ha’penny, then God bless you!”
There are many desserts attached to the Christmas season and every family has their favourites. Mine should be definitely Omi’s Christmas Peach Tart….. Go explain 🙂
(for the 18cm tart)
80g cake flour (or plain flour)
20g grounded almond powder
30g caster sugar
40g unsalted butter , soften at room temperature
1 tablespoon (15g) lightly beaten egg
10g cake flour (or plain flour)
80g grounded almond powder
50g brown sugar
60g unsalted butter, soften at room temperature
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoon Rum (I omitted this)
some canned peach slices, well drained
icing sugar for dusting
- Lightly grease an 18cm tart pan, set aside.
- Toast almond powder at 100 C for 10 min. Stirring in between. Let cool.
- Sieve flour and almond meal. (The grounded almond powder I used are too huge to pass thru the sieve…so I simply threw them back into the sieved flour!)
- With a manual whisk, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg, very gradually, whisking the batter till well mixed each time the egg is added.
- Sieve over the flour/almond meal mixture in 2 to 3 additions into the batter. Fold the mixture gently with a spatula.
- Form and shape the pastry into a round ball. Roll out the pastry in between 2 sheets of cling wrap or baking paper (I used two sheets of cut-out plastic bags) to about 23cm in diameter.
- Remove one side of the cling wrap or baking paper. Place it over the prepared tart pan. Mould the pastry into the tart pan, smoothing the edges and the rim carefully…if the pastry is too soft to handle, chill it in the fridge for 10~15 mins. (I didn’t have any problem with it.)
- Chill the pastry in the fridge for 20mins.
- Use a fork to poke holes on the pastry. Brush the top of the rim with egg wash. (I did this with my fingers.) Bake in pre heated oven at 180 deg C for 10 ~12mins until the edges are slightly browned. Let cool completely.
- With a whisk, cream butter and brown sugar till the mixture turns fluffy. Add in the egg gradually, mix well each time the egg is added.
- Add in grounded almond powder. Fold with a spatula till well incorporated. Sieve over the flour onto the mixture. Mix with a spatula. Add in rum and mix well.
- Spread the filling onto the cooled pastry base. Ensure that the edges are filled up. Line with peach (or pear) slices. Make sure the slices are well drained. Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 deg C for 30 ~ 35 min, until the edges and filling turn golden brown. Let cool, and dust with some icing sugar.
- May God bless your home with peace, joy and love. Have a merry Christmas!