Probably the most famous Israeli Hanukkah food, soufganiyot are fried donuts. While they are commonly filled with jelly or other fillings, this recipe makes easy drop donuts. The cheese in the dough gives them a particularly wonderful texture.
This recipe was kindly given to us by Cooking Tours Israel and we can now confirm- you will not have any leftovers…
Home made soufganiyot recipe
- 1¼ cup self-rising flour
- 250 g (1 cup) soft white cheese (like ricotta)
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- Zest of ½ lemon (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar
- Strawberry jam (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cheese, eggs, canola oil, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Leave to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Pour oil into a small, deep pot so it comes up about 7 cm.
- Using a spoon, make small balls with the dough. Working in batches, drop them into the hot oil and fry until golden. Transfer to a wire rack or a paper-towel lined plate.
- Top with powdered sugar and serve with strawberry jam, if you like.
Recipe from “cook in Israel’ cookbook.