Butter. It’s the secret sauce.
We all know it’s best slathered on freshly baked breads and muffins, hot corn on the cob, or as the essential base for the craziest, cheesiest mac & cheese, but it’s quickly become one of my favorite additions for anything that comes off the grill, too.
With flavored butters there’s no need to wait for a marinade to infuse the meat with flavor and moisture. All that’s required is a hot grill, hot chicken, and sliced butter flavor boosters straight from the refrigerator in the form of these chive and herb butter slices. From there, the hot grilled breast meat finishes the job by decadently melting flavor onto each morsel of chicken.
Flavored butters are not only becoming my secret sauce, but also my secret grilling weapon.
Grilled Chicken with Chive and Herb Butter
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
- 3 chives, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 2 lemons, halved, plus zest of 1 lemon and juice of ½ lemon
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In small bowl, combine butter, herbs, lemon zest and lemon juice until well mixed. Lay out large piece of plastic wrap on clean counter. Spoon butter mixture onto bottom third of plastic wrap then roll into log. Refrigerate for hour or until firm.
- Bring grill to high heat and oil it lightly. Brush chicken breasts with extra virgin olive oil and season chicken breasts with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Let rest at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Put chicken on grill along with 4 lemon halves, cut side down. Grill chicken for about 5 minutes per side or until grill marks form and chicken turns golden. Turn off one side of grill and move the chicken breasts to that side, keeping other side of grill on high heat. Remove lemons from grill. Cook chicken for 8-12 minutes or until 185 degrees internal temperature, turning once if needed.
- Slice chive and herb butter into ½ inch slices.
- To serve, squeeze grilled lemon half over chicken breast and top with pat of chive and herb butter.
And with that, you’ve just become a grilling superhero.