Cheese the Shopski Way (Сирене по шопски) is one of the most traditional dishes in Bulgaria. It is simple, very tasty and its the perfect dish for the lovers of Feta cheese. On top of all that it is very healthy and we would recommend it if you are on a weight loosing diet.
‘Shopski’ signifies that something is done the way the ‘shopi’, an ethnographic group of people from the Western part of Bulgaria, do it.
For preparing Cheese the Shopsky Way there is one important condition – the dish must be baked in a small clay vessel, which holds one portion – an earthenware pot which in Bulgaria is called “gyuveche”.
Needless to say you can always do this recipe “your way” and we have experimented by adding some sliced courgettes, chicken, ham or sliced sausages. The original or “your way” you will always end up with a delicious meal for you, friends and family.Enjoy! Да Ви е сладко!
Bulgarian Cheese the Shopski Way
- 400-600 gr. Feta cheese
- 4 large tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 4 tsp. butter or 100ml olive oil
- 4 chilli peppers (small)
- 4 tsp. savoury (chubrica) - use oregano or parsley if not available
- 4 tsp. red pepper,
- fresh parsley
- For preparing Cheese the Shopsky Way there is one
- important condition - the dish must be baked in a small clay
- vessel, which holds one portion - an earthenware pot which in Bulgaria is called "gyuveche"
- Place a small piece of butter on the bottom of each of the 4 "gyuvecheta" - this recipe servers 4 people.
- On top of that stack a round slice or two of a tomato, put some salt, pepper, and "chubrica", then place a flat block of feta cheese.
- Now stack everything in a reverse order – another slice or two of tomato, herbs, and a small piece of butter.
- Insert the chilli next to the wall of the "gyuveche" and put in a COLD OVEN, turning it to 200-220 degrees.
- Bake for about 20 min with closed lids, then open the lids and break an egg in each "gyuveche". Sprinkle some red pepper and bake without a lid for another 10min, or until egg is cooked.
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve with lid, warm bread and a glass of red wine.
- Enjoy!Да Ви е сладко!